My guest today is Justin Jackson. He is a dad, husband, entrepreneur, coach, the founder of Megamaker, author of Jolt, the creator of Marketing for Developers and Tiny Marketing Wins, and a serial maker. He aims to help people through the things they create.
On this episode, we discussed the processes of making and/or modifying. We delved on his systems and approach in the different initiatives and creations he is currently working on.
Other areas we touched on includes:
- The story of how we met, a brief background of how he has always been involved in businesses since he was young, and how he transitioned from non-profit, to consultancy, and finally – going solo with his independent projects (1:30).
- How getting married, having children and experiencing failure, affected his plans and initiatives (5:25).
- The process of starting up independently, which includes conceptualizing, case studies, exploring and being a serial maker – getting involved in different things which include his podcast, softwares, plugins, e-books, courses, and even merch (7:32).
- How and why he decided to zero-in on writing Jolt and finishing it in the span of a month (8:43).
- The concept of mind gremlins, how being less self-serving enabled him get rid of these, and other takeaways that people have from his two top products – Jolt and Marketing for Developers (12:00).
- Conducting a survey and how its findings gave him insights when he created Tiny Marketing Wins (15:10).
- His process when things must be put on the backburner or let go, and how he did this with his podcast (17:49).
- His hybrid approach when it comes to making, modifying and refreshing the systems, tricks, and hacks supported by continuous research and learning (19:55; 23:44).
- A sample hack he shared in writing effective landing page copy and generate leads (22:20).
If you want to hear more from Justin, we have a bonus episode where we had some deep-dive on learning and the idea of Brutalism , which you can check out and learn even more at the Productivityist on Patreon.
If you’re not yet subscribed on Patreon, I recommend that you do so today and get first dibs on episodes, access bonus episodes and other exclusive content and perks too.
- Justin Jackson | Make some stuff
- What has Justin made? | by @mijustin
- Jolt | Sell more by standing out
- Marketing for Developers | A guide to marketing your software, apps, and digital products
- Tiny Marketing Wins | Weekly marketing tactics for online businesses
- Watch for mind gremlins | by @mijustin
- Focus on your own shit | by @mijustin
- Learning with Justin Jackson | Productivityist
- We all want progress | by @mijustin
- Justin Jackson | YouTube
- Justin Jackson (@mijustin) | Twitter
You may also show your support by leaving the podcast a rating or review on iTunes or any platform you’re listening to.
It is always fun and helpful to talk to Justin, and I hope you enjoyed our conversation too. Thanks for listening! Until next time, remember to stop guessing… and start going.