Despite the two of us being based in Victoria, and within the same circle, I have only been able to touch base with Adam Quiney pretty recently. He is the kind of guy that I can talk to for hours, no beer needed.
In his words, he is an “obsessive perfectionist and high performer” who used to work as a project manager and lawyer. He is currently working as an executive coach where he teaches people how to live a life without compromise while creating the impact they want to.
On this episode, we talked about the problem with productivity, fostering relationships, books, among others. Some of the areas we also touched on includes:
- How personal transformations involve self-awareness, feelings of disconnection or a pain point as the trigger (3:26).
- The idea of the noble sacrifice brought about by caring too much or wanting to make a difference which can create disappointment, anxiety or heartbreak (4:20).
- The 'narrative' we were made to believe that building relationships take time contradicting the concept of efficiency, and how to practice deepening intimacy congruent to productivity (6:20).
- How the pursuit of productivity becomes a hindrance to our lives through too much dependence, and an anecdote on how this fixation can even ruin our relationships (9:15).
- Steps on fixing this challenge by slowing down, gaining awareness on what efficiency is costing us, and facing the fear of what will happen if we’re not efficient (11:34).
- A story highlighting the importance of taking ownership, and the role the ego plays in this conundrum (14:14).
- His top picks when it comes to books which helped him understand human nature, and in turn help others (18:00).
- The importance of balancing one’s boundaries and why he likened traversing life to riding a bike (20:50).
- His insights on the work-life balance vs. work-life integration debacle, and what he thinks is a more plausible concept to aim for (23:35).
- Evergrowth Coaching
- Adam Quiney (@evergrowthadam) | Twitter
- Ego is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday | Amazon
- Shambala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chogyam Trungpa | Amazon
- The Way of the Superior Man by David Deida | Amazon
- Books by Neal Stephenson | Amazon
- Books by Michael Singer | Amazon
If you want to hear more from Adam, watch out for the bonus episodes which is available to Patreon supporters only. Don’t miss it by subscribing on the Productivityist on Patreon and get two bonus episodes per week, plus other perks and access to the exclusive Slack community where I interact with the members.
Show your support by leaving the podcast a rating and review on the platform you’re listening to – we want to hear your feedback. Doing so also allows more people to discover the Productivityist as we move up the rankings.
Appreciate the time you spent listening to the show. Until next time, remember to stop guessing… and start going.