It has been a real treat chatting with this episode's guest Toku McCree. Toku is a coach, teacher and the guy behind Unexecutive.com and Samurai Coaching Dojo.
His background working with rock stars and living in a Zen monastery certainly gives you the vibe that he’s less traditional and more progressive. He teaches entrepreneurs and leaders an out-of-the-box mindset to redefine success not as the destination but as a part of the journey to an amazing life.
Our conversation focused on the the idea that obsessing over tactics could actually be ruining your business and even your life. Some of the points Toku and I covered in our discussion includes:
- An obsession with productivity and strategy that he's noticed working with entrepreneurs, leaders, and CEOs (2:25).
- The point in an individual's growth when the focus shifts from what you’re doing to what you’re being, and how this can change everything in your life, thus creating a kind of efficiency with less friction (3:04).
- How he had 30 jobs before he was 30 years old, and how a cycle of getting hired, learning, getting bored and leaving a job led to a realization that he remains dissatisfied (5:01).
- Meeting someone in a party which eventually led him to live in a monastery for two and a half years, where he learned about happiness and fulfillment (6:22).
- Questions to ask yourself to enable you to run your business, or life, with greater efficiency, and without being tied to a rigid process, system, tactic or tool (8:35).
- How vulnerability is actually a strength than can create possibilities, and enable one to be more effective in dealing with relationships, teams, and business (12:46).
- Why is it important for a successful person who may be so used to relating to the world in a place of strength to show and experience vulnerability (15:13).
- How putting tactics in place with perfection as the goal is likened to running a tank with no weaknesses, and why this is not an ideal mentality (16:57).
- The significance of practicing presence by stepping back and relaxing to generate insights towards improving your business and life (18:18).
- Samurai Coaching Dojo | An accelerator to practice the art of deep coaching.
- Picking role models that matter | Toku McCree | TEDxZurichWomen - YouTube
- Toku McCree (@unexecutive) | Twitter
There’s a lot of cool things in this conversation and if you want to hear more from Toku, there’s an upcoming bonus episode where we continued our conversation and dug into his insights even more. Support the Productivityist on Patreon and be a member to catch that bonus episode and other exclusive perks we're offering for as low as $1 a month.
You can also leave the show a rating and review on the podcast platform you’re listening to. Doing so gets the show up in the rankings and your feedback is being used to improve the show further.
As always, I appreciate you taking the time to listen! Until next time, remember to stop guessing...and start going.